sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for maintainers!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Call for maintainers!
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:32:49 +0200

Am Thu, 16 Apr 2015 12:01:11 +0300
schrieb Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT tiberian.ru>:

> Hello mages!
>
> We haven't updated our maintainers' status for a long time. With the
> last push into test I fixed that.

Hm, I'm not sure of how much value section maintainers are as long as
the number of maintainers is so far less than the number of sections. I
am fixing/adding stuff around where I encounter it. I may be interested
audio and science stuff, but of course I'm actually using only a subset
there.

I see the section maintainer as a kind of warden with the greater
insight into the workings of the spells inside that section, possibly
realizing side-effects of individual commits, giving a second pair of
eyes to everything happening there. As long as the mean count of
eye-pairs per commit is so close to 1 (OK, let's make it 2, since the
Grimoire Lead of course sees everything;-), I don't see much sense in
that position.

This might be more interesting for special sections that really are
tightly coupled like the KDE stuff. There, I had the impression that
Treeve is up to it and thusly waited for him to comment before blindly
pushing some updates to the latest stable 4.14.3. Well, that discussion
is still hanging at the question of what to do about those external
grimoires for KDE on github. Perhaps we need to make Treeve KDE
maintainer to force him to merge the KDE4 one and bump to actually
current version;-)

Alrighty then,

Thomas