sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer removal proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer removal proposal
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 02:50:35 -0600

On Feb 04, Vlad Glagolev [stealth AT tiberian.ru] wrote:
> Therefore, per our developer organization document[1], the following
> developers[2] are up for removal:
> A vote against the removal may be cast. Follow our voting policy[4] if
> in doubt.

I'm not voting against per se but as the person who wrote and drove
implementation of most of those policies originally I see little value in
enforcing them at the present time.

There are two primary reasons to enforce removal:

1) security, to avoid ssh keys sitting around that aren't used
2) avoid issues with inability to maintain quorum for voting

For (1), we can lock accounts that are old without removing people, and
re-enable them if they come back.
For (2), we don't see a lot of actual interest in votes right now because
of the activity level of things. If we did ever see a quorum problem, we
could easily at that time move to higher enforcement.

Meanwhile removing people that have contributed a lot to the distro over
the years but have been on the same sabbatical many others have come and
gone from doesn't buy us anything I can see in overcoming the issue the
distro has right now, in fact it makes it harder to encourage people to get
back into it if they do get time or interest.

I'd at least suggest doing them the courtesy of an email to see if they
have any intentions toward SMGL these days. Maybe they are bored and
needing a project and just haven't thought of us in a while.