sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New grimoire proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New grimoire proposal
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:15:02 +0100

Am Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:45:02 -0600
schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:

> What advantages do we get by making another repo and grimoire entirely?

The one point I see is that we might once move to a scheme where we
actually try to test the whole main grimoire on a release and a spell
that is broken there (because not being compatible with new
gcc/libpng/etc.) needs to be fixed by us or killed off. It could be moved to
dusty and collect dust there, ready to be found by someone who is
willing to invest work to keep it alive (perhaps also taking care of
keeping some local spells for the old infrastructure needed by the
spell in case it's unfixable).

I have no strong opinion on that yet for the long term. For the short
term, my opinion could be summed up as "For $DEITY's sake, please let's
get _anything_ grimoire-like releaased soon and merge the
not-too-ancient Xorg from the branch for a follow-up release and _then_
implement all the wonderful stuff for the future!"

Once we have regular QA again, the topic of a dusty grimoire (or some
other marker for unmaintained spells) might be more interesting to me.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

PS: Still trying to build firefox from test on the laptop ... this time
with some GiB disk space free after deleting several years of Linux
kernel history from /usr/src/.