sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Lets merge some newer GCC into master

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Lets merge some newer GCC into master
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:46:25 -0300

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 23:09:39 +0100
Ladislav Hagara <ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz> wrote:
> Imho, we should create some branch for users who don't want to break
> their systems, for example master-legacy, warn people they should
> scribe add it and really merge gcc, xorg, ... branches into master.

+1. Though that's kind of going back to having a devel/test split.

Plus, I think breaking test is okay to some extent.

In this case, we could avoid the breakage by adding a test in the
PRE_BUILD stage of xorg-server, to avoid accidental upgrades; that's a
good compromise that gives us more time to merge xorg-devel.

That said, if we can get enough people to test xorg-devel, perhaps a
merge within some reasonable time frame is feasible. I will report my
experience with it in the next few weeks.