sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Github as primary source repository for SourceMage?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 00:31:21 +0200

Am Wed, 24 Sep 2014 14:58:31 -0500
schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:

> Also sounds like there's not a lot of interest in issue tracking in
> general.

You need some critical mass of people on the reporting and fixing side.
If the tool doesn't get in the way too much, I think it will be
appreciated once there are some regular folks being active. But yes,
for the little things, just fixing in the grimoire without caring for
the bug database is what usually happens right now.

I'm trying to use the tracker a bit (also to get the feel
compared to what I have to use a work, which is rather painful). What
puts me off immediately: You cannot really work with our current
tracker with JavaScript disabled. It didn't need the recent jquery
p0wning to make me wary of that. You can't add filters without
JavaScript. Meh. (Yes, call me a JavaScript hater. It's true.)

Also, what I really would like is a tracker that documents things but
doesn't force me to use a web interface at all. Trackers being
controlled by E-Mail are generally nice. The one I use at work can run
the discussion via mails, but I need to do some laborious clicking in
the web interface to close an issue. Closing a bug via git commit
message might be a way, but INVALID / WONTFIX won't work that way.

Note, I don't want to distract from the work at hand. I'm thinking
about creating a trackter item for the rebuild failure I get with the
stable chroot. But actually, since it is not clear if this is a sorcery
bug or not, the separation between the sub-projects also doesn't fit.
In Bugzilla, we used to be able to assign a bug to grimoire and then
shift it to sorcery if more appropriate, right?

Perhaps such substructure can be removed at all, since our team is too
small to divide it into sub-teams anyway. A tracker for general
Sourcemage items, tags on individual tickets giving context for
grimoire, sorcery, cauldron. Nothing too complicated ...

But again, let's not switch infrastructure right now. I'll just create
a ticket as a place for disucssing this, disregarding the question if
it's sorted into the correct project or whatnot. You can always ignore
given structure;-)

> From an administrative perspective, keeping the wiki spam-free was a
> huge pain in the arse. Same with keeping spam accounts out of the issue
> tracker. I'd have liked github to do this for us.

Project members with an account can edit things, everyone else not. We
just won't have a wiki editable by the general public since that is too
much work to maintain. End of story?

> Finally, I might set up mirroring of our git repos on github anyway,

Sure, mirrors don't hurt noone.

Alright then,

Thomas