sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] about grimoires from git branches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • Cc: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] about grimoires from git branches
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 15:47:22 -0600

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info> wrote:
>> On Saturday 18 of January 2014 12:50:50 Javier Vasquez wrote:

>>> Actually by looking at how the grimoire ends up:
>>>
>>> % git branch -a
>>> * master
>>>
>>> It doesn't look right to me, given, there's no single remote branch
>>> reported. That way there's no opportunity to perform "git pull" even
>>> manually.
>>>
>>> Is that the way all git repos are treated? Included those used in the
>>> spells?
>>>
>>> It seems weird to me we have to clone all over again the repos when
>>> updating, :-(
>>>
>>> For the grimoire itself, it seems cloning manually and checking out
>>> the branch manually, and then performing manual git pulls, is a better
>>> option that the automated sorcery way.
>>>
>>> Am I misinterpreting something?
>> You were right that the names need to match, however we do not always start
>> from the start. You can't find anything by grepping for a "pull", because
>> we
>> use fetch and reset. Look at /var/lib/sorcery/modules/dl_handlers/dl_git if
>> you are interested in the details.
>>
>> LP
>
> OK, I was confused, :-)
>
> I quickly looked over again, and now things look fine to me, except
> that it takes quiet a while for the update. I have no clue why.
> Perhaps I modify the fetch command to include "-v" and see what goes
> on. I'll see if that helps me identify what gets so slow next time...
>
> BTW, there are other things besides plain git playing around, as shown
> in "/var/lib/sorcery/modules/libdownload". It would be useful to see
> everything that's going on, but I don't see how to increase
> verbosity...
>
> Any ways, thanks a lot, I'm glad I learned new things Today, :-)
>
> --
> Javier.

Hmm,

I get:

Updating grimoire xorg-modular from
git_http://scm.sourcemage.org/smgl/grimoire.git:xorg-modular:devel-xorg-modular
Fetching...

Which means it's executing:

message "${MESSAGE_COLOR}Fetching...${DEFAULT_COLOR}"
GIT_DIR="$GIT_DIRECTORY/.git" git fetch -v "$GIT_ROOT" "$GIT_TAG"
|| continue

But it seems "-v" is not helping, because I see no verbose output at
all. And it seems to be downloading the whole thing.

Notice "Fetching..." output corresponds to the "message" instruction
above, inside dl_git. Bad thing is that I can't find what's causing
the upgrade to download everything again. Notice that as the
directory from prior update is there, the message for initializing a
new directory doesn't show up, as expected...

Is it than only me is getting this behavior?

Thanks,

--
Javier.