sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] about grimoires from git branches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • Cc: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] about grimoires from git branches
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 19:33:53 -0600

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info> wrote:
> On Saturday 18 of January 2014 12:50:50 Javier Vasquez wrote:

>> > I didn't understand this comment, :-( Did you mean that you wouldn't
>> > expect a git repo branch used as grimoire to ever get updated, and if
>> > it does, then it gets cloned all over again?
>>
>> Actually by looking at how the grimoire ends up:
>>
>> % git branch -a
>> * master
>>
>> It doesn't look right to me, given, there's no single remote branch
>> reported. That way there's no opportunity to perform "git pull" even
>> manually.
>>
>> Is that the way all git repos are treated? Included those used in the
>> spells?
>>
>> It seems weird to me we have to clone all over again the repos when
>> updating, :-(
>>
>> For the grimoire itself, it seems cloning manually and checking out
>> the branch manually, and then performing manual git pulls, is a better
>> option that the automated sorcery way.
>>
>> Am I misinterpreting something?
> You were right that the names need to match, however we do not always start
> from the start. You can't find anything by grepping for a "pull", because we
> use fetch and reset. Look at /var/lib/sorcery/modules/dl_handlers/dl_git if
> you are interested in the details.
>
> LP

OK, I was confused, :-)

I quickly looked over again, and now things look fine to me, except
that it takes quiet a while for the update. I have no clue why.
Perhaps I modify the fetch command to include "-v" and see what goes
on. I'll see if that helps me identify what gets so slow next time...

BTW, there are other things besides plain git playing around, as shown
in "/var/lib/sorcery/modules/libdownload". It would be useful to see
everything that's going on, but I don't see how to increase
verbosity...

Any ways, thanks a lot, I'm glad I learned new things Today, :-)

--
Javier.