sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Broken X input support

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Broken X input support
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 13:40:21 -0600

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM, Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 01:09:17 -0300
>> Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Had to rebuild several packages, so I'm not sure what exactly fixed
>> the issue, but probably it was building libx11 with
>> --disable-loadable-i18n.
>>
>> Qt4 applications work fine now!
>>
>> If someone else can confirm --enable-loadable-i18n is responsible for
>> the issue (btw, one program that refuses to start is "st", and xterm
>> prints a warning), we should remove the option.
>

> Looks like Frugalware had the same issue and fixed it by disabling loadable
> i18n modules. See
> http://frugalware.org/pipermail/frugalware-git/2012-December/108473.html

Wow, this fixed the issue I had with accented characters I'm facing
since long ago:

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2013-January/021337.html

However changing libx11, and all spells depending on it, included
dynamic link dependencies, takes quiet a while. But the effort not
only helped me solving the accented chars on rxvt-unicode with
terminus fonts. It also helped me realized while recompiling the
bunch of spells, that there were more spells broken with the new
freetype2 version. Then I went to recompile all spells dependent on
freetype2, which I didn't recompile before given the libx11 effort.
To my surprise, there were still another few broken.

So this was really useful.

--
Javier.

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] Broken X input support, Javier Vasquez, 12/15/2013