sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions...
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:03:42 -0600

To close on this topic I started, :-), please notice I drop the
attempt to use gcj.

The reason being is that even the gcc team is thinking about dropping
gcj, and the only thing preventing them from doing so is some QA
issues only discovered thanks to having gcj (more sensitive?). See:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2013-11/msg00153.html

Any ways, LFS and Arch are both building icedtea7 from older versions
of the same package (LFS even indicates any binary provider of JAVA),
so I modified the current test spell for that purpose, and re-worked
it so that I could do the same without depending upon a temporal
binary downloaded just for the buld purposes. Having a prior versions
of icedtea7 installed is enough, or also installing a binary from
Oracle or IBM might also do. I just tested using the older versions
of icedtea7. See:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/openjdk.html

So I modified icedtea7 to support using an installed versions already,
updating it to 2.4.3 at the same time, and I had to bring some patches
from LFS, other from Arch, and finally made a new versions of the
paths fixes, but after all that the spell pretty much works OK. With
the new icedtea7 I also updated icedteaweb to 1.4.1.

If you want, take a look at the new spells from:

http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/604
http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/605

Before I forget, I added new options to enable jamvm or cacao. I
tested the checksum on jamvm, but didn't on cacao. They're there
ready for experimentation, :-).

Thanks,

--
Javier.

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] some java questions..., Javier Vasquez, 11/30/2013