sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-xorg-modular security fixes

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] devel-xorg-modular security fixes
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 20:29:09 -0500

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Florian Franzmann <siflfran AT hawo.net> wrote:
On Fr 2013-05-31 10:33:00 +0200, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> devel-xorg-modular has now accumulated several security fixes, as well as many
> other important changes.
>

> It is unlikely that anyone will make the effort to update the old versions in
> master.
>
> Can we consider using the the security issue as a good reason to merge devel-
> xorg-modular to master, which has been mouldering for long time with respect
> to xorg?
In principle I'm in favour of a merge but we still don't have a viable
update path. Just doing a system-update from the old xorg to the new
one _will_ break large parts of people's systems. cleanse is unable to
fix the resulting mess.

I'm still working on it. I can push what I have now, but it still needs work. I haven't been pushing what I have because I wanted to keep the spells at a constant version which I know cast fine. I have found pretty much all the spells that need to be recast, but I'm having problems getting the spells to cast in the right order when switching from master to devel-xorg-modular. It's a pretty time consuming task to test and I keep getting circular dependencies.

Anyway, I'm currently on vacation for around another week, so I can't do it right now. I'd prefer to push everything when I get everything working though.

I haven't had the the time to work on this in over 2 months, so I'm giving up on it. I've attached a git patch that adds a bunch of spells to libpthread-stubs' UP_TRIGGERS that should get a working system at least. However, the problem is that I can't get the spells to cast in the correct order (adding dependencies ends up with cyclical dependencies). So you have to keep recasting libpthread-stubs until everything compiles okay. This is not a proper upgrade path imo, but I couldn't think of anything better given the current limitations of Sorcery.

This isn't a complete list either since I gave up adding spells to it after a bit and instead focused on trying to get spells to cast in the correct order. If the leads decide to merge this, I'll try to eventually compile a complete list of spells that need recasting.