sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] How do you do a proper switch from libusb to libusbx when gpg depends on libusb?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] How do you do a proper switch from libusb to libusbx when gpg depends on libusb?
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 01:07:16 +0200

Hi there,

can someone enlighten me on how a safe path as outlined in $SUBJECT
looks? The problem:

0. gnupg built with libusb
1. want to cast libusbx
2. dispels libusb
3. cast of libusbx fails during verification with the pretty message
"Algorithm sha512 is not known!"

I strongly suppose it is related to this:

gpg: error while loading shared libraries: libusb-1.0.so.0: cannot open

Do we have a hen or an egg there? Need for static minimal gpg binary
outside the spells? Fall back to sha512sum on command line? How to get
a new gnupg build? Well, I guess one solution is to summon stuff first
and check manually for integrity. But still, it's not a nice situation
to land in. Needless to say, it's unfortunate that gnupg depends on a
volatile external library for an optional feature (smartcard reader),
given its core nature. We need to protect this core infrastructure
somehow.

Ideas? What did I overlook?

Alrighty then,

Thomas

  • [SM-Discuss] How do you do a proper switch from libusb to libusbx when gpg depends on libusb?, Thomas Orgis, 09/16/2013