sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Fwd: [kmod + udev] new versions of kmod (5) + udev (182) under test break boot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • Cc: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Fwd: [kmod + udev] new versions of kmod (5) + udev (182) under test break boot
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 16:08:13 -0600

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM, Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 May 2013 22:31:52 Javier Vasquez wrote:
>
> As far as I remember, udev-182 needs kmod-12 which replaces
> module-init-tools
>
> I have
> kmod:20121206:installed:12
> udev:20121222:installed:182
>
> which work fine for me.
>
> take a look at the devel-kmod and devel-udev-kmod branches

udev 182 from devel-udev-kmod is missing a patch that removes sd_is_mq
method, from source and header. The reason is the method depends upon
some stuff not available with glibc 2.17, so without the patch there's
a build error.

See upstream patch:

https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/commit/3d6f228db94e8bfb81f3b163739250e9a578e819

And see the comment on gentoo regarding it:

https://github.com/gentoo/eudev/issues/41

I already have installed kmod 12:

% gaze versions kmod
Grimoire Section Spell Grimoire Version Installed Version
-------- ------- ----- ---------------- -----------------
before kernels kmod 12 12
test kernels kmod 5 -

Got it from from devel-kmod. Things work just fine with it.

However there's no way udev 182 works.

It just gets into an infinite reboot loop as described previously.
kmod seems not to be a problem at all, actually replacement of
module-init-tools seems to have been transparent...

I've read that it might be related to the lack of "CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y",
but I have it set on all my kernel versions. What I do not have set
is "CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT". I don't use initrd images at all, so I'm
wondering if this could be it...

Would you think this would be it? If not, then I'm clueless... I
haven't found anything on the web, other than rebuid your initrd
image, or use that config (which I already have)...

Thanks,

--
Javier.