sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] unable to remount root on boot (DEV run level) after yesterday's "sorcery -s".

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] unable to remount root on boot (DEV run level) after yesterday's "sorcery -s".
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 11:10:17 -0600

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> sorcery -s brought new perl between several other things.
>>
>> On a x86-64 (not sure about i686 yet given it's still running), the
>> machine no longer boots. It gets stuck at attempting to remount root
>> on the corresponding runlevel...
>>
>> The only message I could get at the very end (there's an additional
>> *sync* stuff I have no time to read and write by hand) is:
>>
>> rc: Entered run level DEV...
>> Ext4-fs (sda7): remounted opts: (null)
>>
>> Well, null because I removed the option from /etc/fstab
>> errors=remount-ro. If I keep it, the message would say instead (if I
>> recall correctly):
>>
>> rc: Entered run level DEV...
>> Ext4-fs (sda7): remounted opts: (ro)
>>
>> I've already "cfdisk -f" sda7 (root), and all other partitions for that
>> matter.
>>
>> Using "single" as kernel parameter (called by grub menu "recovery
>> mode") doesn't help either...
>>
>> I performed also cleanse by chrooting in the machine through live CD.
>>
>> I've re-casted some spells (through chroot from live CD) like "gettext
>> glibc readline util-linux e2fsprogs texinfo", and that doesn't seem to
>> help. Notice wget wasn't able to compile given some pod2man message
>> complaining about expecting text and not a number at some point...
>>
>> Any hint?
>
> BTW, I also re-casted "simpleinit-msb init.d module-init-tools
> basesystem", just in case, and again, that didn't help...
>
> The problem seems to be the ability to mount. However things were
> working OK prior the the update, and re-casting util-linux was
> successful, and cleanse didn't complain.
>
> Any suggestions?

BTW, reverting perl, and recasting all of the above (in 2 prior
messages) doesn't seem to do the trick...

I'll look what else possible to revert, if I can get old spells as well, :-)

Still struggling to get things working back...

Thanks,

--
Javier.