sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] calibre failing to cast, when cast is done from a dir not owned by root.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • To: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] calibre failing to cast, when cast is done from a dir not owned by root.
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:09:54 -0600

When casting calibre, I'm getting this error:

Preparing to install calibre
castfs: checking sanity of <mnt-dir> and <stage-dir>
castfs: stagedir is okay!
Installing calibre into the stage
Dropping privileges to those of user: 1000
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "setup.py", line 99, in <module>
File "setup.py", line 85, in main
File "/home/sorcery/src/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 163, in run_all
File "/home/sorcery/src/calibre/setup/__init__.py", line 154, in run_cmd
File "/home/sorcery/src/calibre/setup/install.py", line 129, in
pre_sub_commands
ImportError: No module named calibre.utils.config

I'm calling cast through sudo. But I also attempted the same with "su
root", and got the same error.

As there was that group ID (1000) there, and being root, the only
think I could associate was the current directory.

Effectively I was calling cast under a non root user dir. When doing
the cast from /root, everything worked, :-)

I haven't looked at the spell itself to suggest for a solution yet, :-)

But at least I know casting from a place owned by root:root works, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier.