sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Installing SourceMage on encrypted Btrfs root in Uefi mode and GPT parted

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: Mirko Wilhelmi <thegreatwiper AT web.de>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Installing SourceMage on encrypted Btrfs root in Uefi mode and GPT parted
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:43:17 -0400

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Mirko Wilhelmi <thegreatwiper AT web.de> wrote:
> Hi Wizards of the Coast or World or so,
>
> I recently discovered SourceMage and would like to have it installed on
> my new laptop but I also would like some other top of the edge stuff
> like mentioned in the subject and there it seems to get complicated.
>
> So it is possible to run SourceMage on an dm-crypt encrypted root with
> btrfs filesystem on GPT partition disk? Is it possible to use Uefi boot
> loader?
>
> At least it seems not possible the easy way because the most recent ISO
> has a way to old kernel (and needed user tools like mkfs.btrfs are
> missing, too).
>
> My thought was that if I had an installed system I could update it to
> 3.3-3.5 kernel and all the other stuff needed, but how do I get there?
>
> Is there any hope for me?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Morco, Novice in the way of the arcane

The latest ISO is indeed very old. I do not recommend using it.
Instead boot up from your live cd of choice (SystemRescueCd is pretty
good IME) and download the latest chroot at
http://sourcemage.org/projects/source-mage/wiki/ChrootInstallGuide .
You can follow the instructions on that wiki page.

On a side note, it looks like the download page linked to on the main
page does not contain links to the latest chroot images. Hopefully
David or someone can fix that when they get around to it.

I can't comment on using dm-crypt since I've never used it (I'm sure
it can be done on Source Mage though), but if you install grub2 you
can boot from a btrfs gpt partition or you can use a UEFI partition if
you wish. Syslinux also support btrfs and gpt as well, but not UEFI
AFAIK.

Be sure to ask anymore questions if you have any :)
The irc channel is generally pretty helpful as well if you wish to ask
questions there. #sourcemage AT irc.freenode.net