sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] smgl-archspecs 0.8.3 released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [SM-Announce] smgl-archspecs 0.8.3 released
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 18:37:57 +0900

Thomas Orgis (thomas-forum AT orgis.org) wrote [12.06.18 17:06]:
> Am Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:12:24 -0400
> schrieb Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>:
>
> > It looks like the problem is that smgl-archspecs is dispelled before
> > INSTALL. Thus, when set_architecture() is run during INSTALL, there is
> > nothing under /usr/share/archspecs/ . I'm not sure what the best way
> > to fix this is.
>
> What about generally storing a copy of the active archspec in the cast
> tmp dir that is re-used for all steps of the cast? I think it is very
> untidy to pull the rug out under the cast process like that. On some
> level it is funny that we still have such borderline behaviour in SMGL.
>
> And, well ... dispelling before INSTALL, there is my aeon-old gripe
> about that again. If I had the time to do something about that ...
> clearly, we need the dispel only happening in the staging area and
> later merge with the filesystem at a convenient time. The time frame
> for the main "real" filesystem to _not_ have a spell installed should
> be as small as possible.
>
> In the case of archspecs, storing the current at begin of cast should
> be a workaround, if only for consistency's sake (having the same
> environment at end of cast).

I've had an idea for sorcery to add a selectable option for the type of
staging (none, simple fileystem-based, castfs, unionfs) but I haven't
had time to implement it and test it out. Ideally we should have a way
of forcing some level of staging on truly system-critical spells (like
glibc) so that if there is any issue with the actual install it can be
backed out of without first harming the system.

If anyone has a load of free time and wants to have a go at it...

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage