sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-archspecs 0.8.3 released

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] smgl-archspecs 0.8.3 released
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:54:57 -0400

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org> wrote:
> Looks like a bug to me,
>
> native is the only 64bit archspec that doesn't have *PIC flags.
>
> I think all commits to grimoire about it should be reverted, and we'll
> include these flags in 0.8.4 release.

May I ask why its a bug?

Personally, I'm against forcing PIC flags. I don't think we should be
forcing anything that is not strictly necessary.

Looking at the git commit log, it seems like the PIC flags were
originally placed in the CFLAGS because gentoo recommended it (
http://scmweb.sourcemage.org/?p=smgl/misc/archspecs.git;a=commit;h=b2f6046dfb052340c6665fa2c43d597c77f85de6
). If that is indeed the case, it should be noted that gentoo no
longer recommends using PIC flags except for hardened.