sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] x86_64 PIC CFLAGS

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] x86_64 PIC CFLAGS
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:50:55 +0200

Am Tue, 12 Jun 2012 01:49:05 -0300
schrieb Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>:

> Isn't -fPIC default for x86_64 anyway?
>
> I think at least for x86 it shouldn't be forced.

That is what we are talking about ... it is default for most x86-64
archspecs, but it is missing in one. That prompted the question if it really
should be enforced on x86-64 on all builds.

This PIC stuff is only needed for shared libraries, not for all executables.
Just enforcing it was a simple way to avoid having to check/fix any library
build that does not use it.

Personally, I'd like to have a convention for general CFLAGS and
SHARED_CFLAGS or such like, so that my build systems don't have to know about
these peculiarities, but, well, SMGL in practice deals with autoconf stuff
mostly, and that adds PIC itself where needed.

Alrighty then,

Thomas