sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] patches

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] patches
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:00:29 +0900

Sukneet Basuta (sukneet AT gmail.com) wrote [12.04.23 11:21]:
> git compresses the blobs as well. See
> http://schacon.github.com/git/user-manual.html#object-details
>
> For what its worth, my vote is to leave it uncompressed. ~10kB isn't
> much these days.
>
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Paul Vinogradov <vin.public AT gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > git compresses reference information not the files temselves, doesnt it?
> >
> > В Sun, 22 Apr 2012 19:59:45 +0200
> > Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be> пишет:
> >
> >> I have a patch to a spell. The patch size is ~ 10k bytes, 200 lines
> >>
> >> Is it better to compress the patch or not?
> >> If it is not compressed, git can do a better job of reducing space usage.
> >> Thoughts?

Regardless of whether git compresses the actual file or not, this has no
bearing on whether the file will be compressed for any instance of the
grimoire not coming from a git clone. This means all "regular" users of
the grimoire (scribe add stable, scribe add test, etc.) will only have
the uncompressed file.

Additionally, even in git clones, the file is only compressed by git in
the git index. Any working tree version of the file is not compressed by
git, but is as-is.

The question should not be "does git compress this?". The question
should be "do we want a 10kb file showing up in all (working) instances
of the grimoire?".

Personally, I'm fine either way in this case, as a single instance of
10kb added to a grimoire that sits at over 100mb as it is won't matter
much. But consider this: if we have 1000 patch files, and each patch is
10kb, that will add 10mb to the total size. Continue ad nauseum for the
full implication. Whether this becomes a practical reality is up to the
collective vision, but I believe there was some policy about a minimum
size for a patch file to be compressed.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage