sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] python3 spells - status

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] python3 spells - status
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 09:39:23 +0100

supporting python3 will be a never ending process.

the python website lists 600+ packages which support python3, most of which
we
do not have as spells, although a few are new packages specificly intended
for
python3.

I have created a new section, py3, to which I have moved about 20 spells
which
I actually use, together with a few new ones which are python3 only versions
of existing spells.

Where applicable, they build with either version of python and run on my
notebook. Users of python2 should notice no difference.

Changes made were as follows;
new py3/FUNCTIONS
DEPENDS: depends PYTHON

Upstream support: automatic or via special build option(sqlalchemy).

Others: run 2to3 in pre_build. In a couple of cases also patch the sources.

I found a couple of cases where the upstream project appears to be
dead(elixir, chardet), but which I use, so I made some patches.

The major omissions at the moment are bzr and mercurial, but the upstream
projects have experimental python3 support, neither of which work for me.

I recommend that we merge these changes to master asap, to avoid ongoing
confusion regarding future spell upgrades.

As other spells are upgraded, we can check for python3 support and move to
the
new py3 section if applicable.

I will write a separate mail regarding python use in non-python spells.

Regards, Treeve

  • [SM-Discuss] python3 spells - status, Treeve Jelbert, 03/02/2012