sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] python3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] python3
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 13:26:50 -0600

On 02/23/2012 12:47 PM, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> i have a need to upgrade some spells to use python3
>
> Rather than make changes to several individual spells, as part of this I
> have
> a script which will change all python spells to allow either python3 or
> python2.
>
> As far as I can tell there are only 3 spells which specificly depend on
> python3.
>
> I realise that most of the spells are not tested against python3.
>
> Most people only have python2, so would not notice any difference.
> I doubt if many people only have python3.
>

> Those people who try to use python3 will eventually discover a few spells
> that do not work. Fixes will be found in due course.
>

> I would make the initial changes in a branch, but I think that this should
> have a very short life, otherwise it would live forever as some of the
> spells
> would never be tested.
>
> Any thoughts?

I think it's okay to try to upgrade everything to python3, but we need
to have a concerted testing effort to catch spells before they get into
stable.

I would recommend putting together a bug set, and make it blocking on
getting those spells updated into stable. Like, don't release new
stable, until they've been verified.

David