sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] xz archives

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] xz archives
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 10:02:03 +0900

Sukneet Basuta (sukneet AT gmail.com) wrote [11.11.13 09:36]:
> Given that Sorcery 1.15 in test and devel support xz compression, and
> many upstream projects release xz archives now (i.e. gnome), is it
> okay to use xz archives over bzip2 or gzip in the grimoire? Or should
> this only be permitted after the stable branch of sorcery supports xz
> archives? xz has better compression than bzip2 and gzip, and faster
> decompression times than bzip2, so it seems to me to be a better
> alternative.

It's necessary for stable sorcery to support xz, otherwise you'd be
forcing all users to switch to either test or devel sorcery. If they
don't switch and there are xz things in the grimoire that stable sorcery
can't handle, then those bits in the grimoire will be broken for them.

Also, xz is not absolutely better than bzip2 or gzip. It depends on the
particular material being compressed, as well as what compression levels
are being compared for the respective compressors (both for compressed
size and time for decompression), AFAIK.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage