sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery 1.15.0 Released!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery 1.15.0 Released!
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 17:19:31 -0800

On Sep 22, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Jaka Kranjc wrote:

> Sorcery 1.15.0 has finally been released! Yep, check the date. A long time
> has
> passed since the inception, so the changelog is long and full of bugfixes,
> optimisations and new features. Thanks to all involved!
>
> The release notes are worst viewed on the wiki at
> http://sourcemage.org/projects/sorcery/wiki/ReleaseNotes1150
>
> Here are just the big highlights:
> * sorcery queue and queue-security are now much faster by avoiding disk IO
> (~10 times in my case) and optionally (default: VERBOSE_QUEUING=on) more
> verbose. It displays all the reasons why the particular spell is being put
> into the queue. For security updates it states if there was more than one.
> * as a side effect, also cast -Z is much faster when searching for
> possible
> updates (look it up, it is very handy)
> * partly improved resurrect: better resurrection and its integration into
> the
> casting process
> * a new tool (called resurrect) specifically for dealing with
> resurrecting
> (downgrades, upgrades, cache manipulation)
> * timing functionality. It can be accessed via gaze time, gaze time-system
> and
> their subcommands. The functions print various casting times. Especially
> gaze
> time --full can be useful for estimating future casting time.
> * the spell's FINAL outputs are duplicated at the end of cast
> * when a spell fails, a short reason for the failure is displayed in the
> summary
> * improved cleanup algorithm when a spell fails in the dependency
> resolution
> part of cast
> * conflicts and security questions are now asked during the dependency
> resolution phase
> * the conflicts are then dispelled right before the spell is cast or
> resurrected
>
> IMPORTANT: To get any of the benefits of staging, you need to install
> castfs.
> IMPORTANT: Don't forget there is now a new cool tool called resurrect.
>
> This release also marks a new development stream, so if you want to work on
> any (new) features, the time is right. Bugzilla, users and me are full of
> ideas. There are already a few projects submitted to bugzilla, but most
> need a
> bit more work and polish. In any case, there's plenty of fun or painful
> stuff
> to work on and I'd gladly help with any of it.
>
> My plan for 1.16 is to work on (more or less) what is filed on
> bugzilla/chillizila, especially if it has attachments. And maybe the
> completion of improved resurrect.
>
> Go forth and testify. But first wait for the mirrors to sync. :)

I'd love to try the latest stable, but where is it?

I still get 1.14.6 after doing a `sorcery -u` when tracking the stable
branch, and 1.15.1-rc1 when tracking the test branch. Even setting a custom
version of 1.15.0 fails to download and looking at our mirrors the latest
version is 1.14.6 for stable.

Looking in git, there's no stable-1.15 branch to grab it from and the
test-1.15 branch is 1.15.1-rc1.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285