sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] fallback mirrors

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] fallback mirrors
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:11:00 -0500

On 09/12/2011 11:48 AM, Bor Kraljič wrote:
>>> So to sum up the questions:
>>> * Is there a script for updating fallback mirrors?
>>
>> Not an official one that I'm aware of.
> What kind of script are you using (if any)?

That's what I was using to do a threaded download of all spells.
http://scm.shlrm.org/chili/projects/smgltools/repository/revisions/master/show/allsummon

I started rewriting it in ruby to do a better job of collecting failures
and such, to generate a report when the whole thing is finished. so I'd
know about spells that failed to download/verify and why.

>>> - Can we modify/improve it?
>>
>> Probably. :)
>>
>>> * How often are fallback updated?
>>
>> Depends on who's maintaining the fallback. I think I have one that I
>> keep and then there's the one on dbg, but I don't know how that one is
>> fired up.
> You maybe know who is maintaining dbg mirror ?

I think perhaps Jeremy Blosser set it up, but I don't know that as a fact.

>>> Answers to those would give me basic understanding of how our fallback
>>> mirrors work.
>>
>> Our fallback mirrors are semi-unofficial. People volunteered to run
>> them, since they're supposed to only be used when the primary tanks for
>> whatever reason.
>>
>> I had been working on a ruby script to do a bit more parallelization of
>> the downloads, as well as handling the downloads in a smarter way, for
>> failures and verification purposes, but I haven't quite finished it yet.
> I hope you know that I have written one script (hashcheck.sh) and commit it
> into guru-tools repository that summons and verifies the sources. It can
> also
> ignore SCM sources. However it doesn't have parallel download and it is not
> that that smart. Well it is smart as summon. It misses sources that are
> hidden
> behind queries and logic in spells.
>
> But it would still be better than pure summon for fallback mirrors.

http://scm.shlrm.org/chili/projects/smgltools/repository/revisions/master/show/mirrorMaker

That's what I was starting on. It would do a bit more parallelization
and hash checking. As for logic within the spells, that's really
difficult to do, because it's an executable script, not a declaritive
script. So I was just happy with getting the default path.

David