sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire splitting

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ismael Luceno <ismael.luceno AT gmail.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Grimoire splitting
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 04:36:13 -0300

El Wed, 31 Aug 2011 00:52:45 +0200
Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp> escribió:
<...>
> My idea to address these issues is to split the grimoire along
> various, flexible dimensions. Firstly, to address the first two
> problems, I'd like to split the grimoire along a quality assurance
> dimension. I'd like for us to have a core grimoire, which contains
> the spells from basesystem and the spells we include on our ISO.
> These spells need to work *at all times*, we need to have these
> spells working properly to make sure that ISO generation can be
> maintained without cauldron having to fix stupid problems everywhere,
> they need to be able to concentrate on actually generating the ISO.

I agree that splitting the grimoire might be useful, but not in this
case.

Splitting would be useful if we maintained the pieces separately,
so we could have a very up-to-date but stable basesystem with the
option to use either well-tested stuff or bleeding-edge.

Remember that 1) we need to separate stable from unstable stuff,
and an version bump in any spell changes the category, and 2) there's a
lot of interaction between spells that affect it too.

<...>
> Now, it'd be horribly annoying if we'd need to start moving spells
> between repositories all the time, not even to mention how annoying it
> would be to have to look for a spell in different repos all the time.
> Therefore I don't want to split the repo, I want to keep everything in
> one repo. To facilitate the different grimoires I'd like to add a
> field to DETAILS indicating the QA level of the spell. Then we'd need
> to update our grimoire tarball generation scripts to pick and choose
> spells from the repo depending on this field in DETAILS. Anything
> without a the field goes into unmaintained so that we only have to
> add the field as we move specific spells into the higher echelons of
> our grimoire architecture.

Something indicating the QA-level would be great. But it's a little
more complicated than it looks.

> That is the QA dimension of splitting grimoires. I'd like to add the
> possibility to specify other dimensions. A topical dimension for
> instance in which we can indicate all spells that belong to say X, KDE
<...>

We could use section prefixes for that. Conventions are
better/easier than configuration, almost always.

<...>