sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] latex missing from texlive
  • Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 09:08:03 +0900

Sukneet Basuta (sukneet AT gmail.com) wrote [11.09.01 07:56]:
> It doesn't look like anyone's fixed this yet, so I'll do it since I
> can mess up texlive now.
>
> Other than making documents, what else needs to be tested to update
> texlive? Texlive's website doesn't say much on the subject
> http://www.tug.org/texlive/pretest.html#testing .

That's precisely all TeX does is make documents (sure it's Turing
complete so you could use it to program space invaders, but let's face
it, it's only used for coding documents). The question for testing is
*what* documents it can produce, and to make sure the output looks the
way it should. Unfortunately there isn't anything automated for this
anywhere that I know of, and to make it worse there are multiple
varieties (LaTeX, plain-TeX, ConTeXt, Alpha/Omega, etc.), and multiple
TeX engines (the original TeX, PDFeTeX, LuaTeX, XeTeX, etc.).

Ideally we'd have some form of reasonable test source for each
variety/engine combination, but that's not likely to happen soon as few
people in the distro (if any) know enough of all the combinations to
create said meaningful test documents. I suppose for now at least simple
"hello world" documents would be a start. I can create ones for
plain-TeX, LaTeX, and ConTeXt using PDFeTeX. I have only used XeTeX a
few times via ConTeXt, but I've never played with LuaTeX (yet -- I'd
like to start playing with it). I'm not sure if we actually should run
such tests though, unless maybe the user selects them via a CONFIGURE
option or similar, as they would obviously not be part of upstream, and
would consume resources.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage