sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] What's needed to get merged gcc into the main grimoire?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] What's needed to get merged gcc into the main grimoire?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:32:39 +0900

Jaka Kranjc (smgl AT lynxlynx.info) wrote [11.08.04 22:14]:
> On Thursday 04 of August 2011 21:25:40 flux wrote:
> > I would like to see this as well, but as an option (and as the default
> > of that option). Ideally sorcery should support bare staging (chucking
> > the whole install into a plain temp directory without using a fuse
> > filesystem), staging with castfs (or unionfs -- what's happening with
> > this one?), or doing no staging at all (our current default). Either
> > way, what we have now isn't real staging, since it only stages BUILD,
> > not INSTALL (or perhaps even FINAL, depending on what a given spell is
> > doing in FINAL). Then rather than STAGING being only on or off, it could
> > have specific values (plain, casts, none/off, etc.), and it could always
> > grow more options if more were needed.
> Actually INSTALL *is* staged and BUILD isn't. There wouldn't be much point
> in
> the reverse. Staging was introduced to avoid failed installs breaking the
> real
> system — now they just don't get merged out of the stage.
>
> LP

I apologize, my brain was dead when I wrote that. I meant to write stage
the INSTALL (thus actually performing the install) before running any
dispel of the same spell (for upgrades) or CONFLICTS (why dispel a
conflicting spell if you can't build/install the currently selected
one?).

Whether staging BUILD in addition to INSTALL makes sense or not I
suppose would depend on your level of paranoia that something in BUILD
can overwrite existings files in the live host filesystem (which I
suppose could happen, but would be a very broken build). Perhaps this
could be added as a later option? I'm personally more concerned with the
case of dispel before install vs. install before dispel, as mentioned
above.

Sorry for the erroneous first post.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer