sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /run directory and FHS

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /run directory and FHS
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:45:24 +0900

Ladislav Hagara (ladislav.hagara AT unob.cz) wrote [11.03.31 19:19]:
> >> GIT changes to master grimoire by Ladislav Hagara <hgr AT vabo.cz>:
> >>
> >> disk/udev/DETAILS | 2 +-
> >> disk/udev/HISTORY | 3 +++
> >> 2 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
> >>
> >> New commits:
> >> commit 373ffb0501fa77aa6b2359a7e2b4fe7848a859c1
> >> Author: Ladislav Hagara <hgr AT vabo.cz>
> >> Commit: Ladislav Hagara <hgr AT vabo.cz>
> >>
> >> udev 167
> >>
> >> udev 167
> >> ========
> >> Bugfixes.
> >>
> >> The udev runtime data moved from /dev/.udev/ to /run/udev/. The
> >> /run mountpoint is supposed to be a tmpfs mounted during early boot,
> >> available and writable to for all tools at any time during bootup,
> >> it replaces /var/run/, which should become a symlink some day.
> >>
> >> If /run does not exist, or is not writable, udev will fall back using
> >> /dev/.udev/.
> >>

> > who is supposed to create /run and mount it?
>

> We have to discuss this. First of all udev 167 works without /run. The
> question is what to do if they remove this fall back in the future.
>
> It is discussed, for example "What's this /run directory doing on my
> system and where does it come from?" [1]. Seems it comes from Fedora 15
> and it isn't yet in FHS [2].
>
> Of course we can create it by spell smgl-fhs. Also we can add for
> example /media directory, users usual create manually.
>
> One of next update of udev spell will probably need some test of
> /etc/fstab if there is a /run mount and if not we should write some
> warning / suggestion what user should do.
>

> [1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/fedora-devel/msg149877.html
> [2] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

This is actually (IMHO) the wrong way to go about this. Udev is
currently set up by init scripts, and I think /run should be created by
the init scripts for udev. The udev init scripts should be updated, and
all of the changes involved should be udev-specific. To my knowledge
only udev will make use of /run, so putting it in smgl-fhs is the wrong
place I think. Also, it's only used to mount a tmpfs, so it's not for
anything persistent. As a final note, there is nothing preventing us
from making /run a symlink to /var/run (or anywhere else), and a simple
ln run in an init script would work well I think.

As for media, I personally see it as optional, because all of its
functionality can also be provided by /mnt (the language in the FHS
makes /media a subset of /mnt, since all removable media are temporarily
mounted filesystems, and everything in /media can just be symlinks
anyway). I know of no programs that actually require /media by having
that path hardcoded. If we are going for _strict_ FHS compliance then we
will need to have /media in smgl-fhs, but to my knowledge we actually
"violate" FHS elsewhere I think (like /srv, which the FHS does not mark
as an optional directory, even though having services is completely
optional...).

Whatever is done, it will definitely need to be worked out if the
current path forward remains in the future, as they have already
mentioned that this is a "for now" fallback (implying they will
definitely drop it at some point, the question is only when).

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage