sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the 2011 term

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Project Lead Vote for the 2011 term
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:12:46 -0600

On 02/14/2011 10:54 AM, Mark Bainter wrote:
George Sherwood [pilot AT beernabeer.com] wrote:
I have no issue with letting the 2nd nomination proceed.

And if we do decide to let the 2nd nomination proceed, I would like to
nominate a 3rd:

I dunno, now it just seems like we're flaunting the rules. The Kowis
nomination came because of a discussion in channel where Kowis said he
had thought about throwing his name in [in the context of our lamenting
the lack of participation in the PL vote nominations], and we just did
it for him. At the time I was thinking the nominations weren't
officially closed until the email was sent closing them - but that
wasn't really the way ruskie was running it, so we were outside by 13
hours or so.

This now seems like it's almost setting a precedent that says it doesn't
matter what the time frames are - which could make the annual votes an
even bigger mess than they already are sometimes.

The rules were put in place for a reason - to give us guidelines and
keep order, and prevent dragging these necessary but distracting
administrative events out. All things being equal, these two will have
another chance either right away (if Emrys doesn't get the votes) or at
the end of that term if he does. On consideration I think I'd rather
that we just stick with the rules.

I don't mind it in this case, as long as it's an exception to the rules. The rules are just guidelines, if we really want to have a three-way PL vote, I'm 100% okay with that, especially given the lack of activity with SMGL.

In this particular case, I don't think it's such a bad thing to "flaunt the rules" a bit. We have been somewhat lax in the procedural department, so I don't think it's so horrible this time.

Also, I don't think it will happen very often, so I think this one time will be an exception. Usually we do have an email come out that reminds us that nominations are closed and that one week for acceptance speeches are happening and whatnot. So I can understand the desire to let more people in and such.

However, the time for a decision is now. Since our current (relatively unofficial) PL is ruskie, we need a decision and we need to move forward.

David