sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] schroot and breaking upstream defaults

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] schroot and breaking upstream defaults
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 18:31:00 -0700

On Tue, 4 May 2010 13:31:49 -0500
Donald Johnson <ltdonny AT gmail.com> wrote:

> schroot has a few problems that need to be kinked out. First, and
> foremost, it will not work out of the box with only minimal
> configuration. Currently, I'm wondering if I should patch a few
> things. However, this violates upstream defaults, so I thought it
> would be best to get some collaboration before I make a boo-boo.
>
> Some things: It copies /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/gshadow out of the
> box. I was wondering if I should change that by commenting out the
> lines, just in case a user may not have either. I could see a reason
> for leaving resolv.conf in, though. I'm leaning on commenting both
> of them out for example documentation purposes.
>
> It also automatically binds a lot of the folders. The significant
> ones are /home, /dev/shm, /dev/pts, /proc, and /tmp. This
> excludes /dev and /sys. Again, commenting out things is a
> possibility, but I was wondering if it would be feasible to add
> in /dev and /sys as defaults, seeing as they are needed to run a
> correct chroot. /home's bind may be undesirable, but I'm not sure if
> the user should be encouraged to edit out the upstream defaults.
> However, the upstream defaults are Debian's, which has, in the past,
> seemed to be strange, even if it is their own source code. I'm
> leaning on leaving everything as-is, except for adding /dev and /sys.
>
> Another strange convention is that they expect that `stat` will be in
> /usr/bin/stat, rather than /bin/stat. My judgment says that patching
> this would be okay, since coreutils doesn't have the possibility of
> any other installation location.
>
> Any input is helpful. Currently, I'm investigating the use of
> schroot to have a reloadable chroot for casting spells from a clean
> system without going the emulator route. I'm building up a HowTo for
> it, as well.

I gave up on schroot as it caused too many issues (just ask David Kowis
about my being banned from the wiki (temporarily) when using a
schrooted Firefox). I'm now back to a custom shell script or using
cauldronchr.sh from cauldron/scripts/ :).

As for patching, I'd say patching for varying binary locations is a
good idea, but patching to change behaviour is not. All of that
behaviour is configurable in their configuration scripts (I removed
some of their config files entirely).

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285