sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wondering about the grimoire branches...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wondering about the grimoire branches...
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 19:16:25 +0200

Op Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:35:26 +0900
flux <flux AT sourcemage.org> schreef:

> I do like the idea of implementing the "overlay grimoires", simply
> because there's a lot for gnome and kde that I will never cast as a
> minimalist (I barely use X ever on rare occasions, but definitely not
> DEs). If I don't need it, I'd rather not have it contribute to what I
> have to download in the first place. There's a tradeoff though: if we
> split the grimoire into a core plus overlays, we increase the
> complexity of the system for the end-user who does want the extra
> spells. The same goes for developers who then have to use multiple
> repositories just to do a couple commits. Are we really improving
> things *enough* to warrant that tradeoff if we split off into
> overlays? That's something we should discuss/test before actually
> going through with it I think.

Having 'overlay' grimoires for regular use would indeed make things
complicated for (new) users.
But using it for development, say for X or gcc with just the changed
spells in the overlay, would simplify testing indeed. Being able to just
stack it on top of the rest and update your box to test the development
stuff.

Arjan Bouter

+=======
GPG: 79D4B14E
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
http://www.sourcemage.org
+===