sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] UNS: accessing git through a firewall

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] UNS: accessing git through a firewall
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:25:09 -0500

Treeve Jelbert (treeve AT scarlet.be) wrote [10.02.25 12:40]:
> My ISP has recently installed a new VDSL modem/router, and it now has some
> preconfigured firewall settings.
>
> Medium security is fine, but High seems to block git/ssh.
>
> I don't have the administrator login for this router, so I need to find a
> way through, using the ports which are allowed for outgoing traffic.
>

> Does anyone have any experience with such things?
>
> Outbound access is allowed to the following services: Telnet, FTP, HTTP,
> HTTPS, DNS, IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
>
> Regards, Treeve

If outbound is the problem, then you're going to have a lot of problems
across the board. The reason is that no matter what routing you do on
your end, the server you'd be pushing to from would need to support git
access on the port you'd be sending to. Rerouting things on your end
would be easy using ssh port forwarding, so for example you could route
your git traffic over https. The SMGL server (to my knowledge), however,
does not support git pushes over https (either using the https protocol
and doing a true https push, or ssh over the https port). The same would
hold (again, to my knowledge) for the other ports which you listed.

However, are you really having outgoing problems? Usually ISP routers
block incoming ports, not outgoing. Also, whichever the case, is the
router physically accessible to you, and are you expressly forbidden (by
a contract or something) from changing settings in the router? If you
have access and aren't forbidden from changing settings, just hold the
reset button on the unit and it will revert to factory defaults,
including the default login and password (which you can look up). Then
you can log in as an administrator and configure away.

--
Justin "flux_control" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage