sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Current breakages and a call for help

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Current breakages and a call for help
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 08:52:27 -0800

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:30:15 +0100
Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net> wrote:
> Forgot about the reversion of those updates. I'm not sure if it's not
> too late already. I expect the same issues to happen on downgrade, so
> we would instead break all systems that already are on the new
> versions. A possible solution to this would be changing the spells to
> install the old version if that's what is there, and the new version
> if that is already installed. That way already updated systems will
> continue to work, and we'd have time to figure out a real solution.

Reverting the libxcb change shouldn't cause an issue. The issue is the
newer libxcb *removes* .la files which other files are using. Going to
the old version from new would add files no one uses. Of course, this
should be tested to verify I'm not missing anything. ;)

Reverting the util-linux/e2fsprogs programs would be bad. I installed
an x86_64 machine last week, but used the
http://download.sourcemage.org/image/official/smgl-stable-0.36-basesystem-x86_64.tar.bz2
as my starting point and had no issue.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285