sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] PAM support

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] PAM support
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 10:41:30 -0600

Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> until now, I have avoided PAM, but because I am unable to build certain
> things
> ( polkit-gnome, devicekit-disks) without PAM support in polkit, I think
> that I
> shall be obliged to use PAM.
>
> Apart from compiling linux-pam, and things where PAM support is currently
> disabled, is there anything else I need to do?
>
> I don't want to lock myself out of the system.

sshd doesn't use pam unless you set UsePam Yes in the
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file

So you should be able to get in via ssh until you've gotten everything
right.

IIRC the default pam install may or may not allow root logins on the
console, so besure to have a normal user login available. /etc/securetty
is the magic file that defines securettys. For the most part, pam just
works. There's lots of documentations to read as to how it works and how
they interact.

--
David Kowis
SourceMage GNU/Linux -- www.sourcemage.org