sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Too late: Please, do not update glibc to 2.11 too fast...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Too late: Please, do not update glibc to 2.11 too fast...
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:49:16 +0100

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 03:10:21AM +0100, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Since there already is alpha-specific code needed in the spell scripts
> (as for x86-64, too); it might be not too bad to use version 2.10.1
> for that arch and 2.11 on others. What bothers me is that that
> important spell already is cluttered, with NTPL and non-NPTL, CVS
> version (do we really need that?)... then various if branches for
> SMGL_COMPAT_ARCH ...

How about having glibc be just x86/x86_64 and moving support for any
other platforms to a separate spell, e.g. glibc-compat. If we do it that
way it's no problem if the version of glibc-compat lags a bit behind
glibc.

> It would already help to drop non-NPTL and CVS ... perhaps then I can
> better stand having only the multi-version switch based on
> architecture. So, who uses those two options? Do we support kernel 2.4
> (for non-NPTL)?

I should think non-NPTL can be dropped indeed. Unless people start
screaming now I'd say just drop it from the spell, if then still people
bemoan its loss it's easy to revert.

Remko van der Vossen.