sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Note about last update to directfb.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp>
  • To: Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] [sm-discuss] Note about last update to directfb.
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 18:07:07 +0100

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 10:51:25AM -0600, Javier Vasquez wrote:
> On 11/9/09, Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net> wrote:
> > :2009-11-08T20:17:Javier Vasquez:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> On test, recently there was an update for directfb. For it I had to
> >> add 3 library links so that gtk+2 and several other applications still
> >> continue to work, and also to compile (I tried recompiling them
> >> without the links, but could not be possible):
> >>
> >> cd /usr/lib
> >> ln -s libdirectfb-1.4.so.0.2.0 libdirectfb-1.3.so.0
> >> ln -s libfusion-1.4.so.0.2.0 libfusion-1.3.so.0
> >> ln -s libdirect-1.4.so.0.2.0 libdirect-1.3.so.0
> >
> > There is a reason they change the version names... It means its ABI
> > incompatible. Which means when it hits something it needs from those
> > libs it will fail badly.
>
> OK, though this means reworking all other spells? Any ways, as FYI,
> I'm not having problems with the links as of now. And as I said,
> rebuilding without the links don't work, so I don't have any other
> work around, :-(.

It seems strange to me that rebuilding without the links does not work,
what exactly are the errors you get? If the actual link fails, then that
is a clear sign that compatibility problems *do* get hit, and it is a
miracle that the programs, when run do not hit these issues. If it still
tries to link with the old versions of the libraries then the build
process is simply broken, or some old meta data is left over.

1. old pkg-config files are left over, check for pkg-config files
installed by directfb and see if there are any pkg-config files that
list *-1.3

2. libtool's annoying .la files are present that have dependencies on
the *-1.3 versions. in that case it's not actually the gtk programs that
depend on these libs, but some other libs which gtk subsequently depends
on, to fix that you need to recompile thos other libs first. Check for
occurences of *-1.3 in .la files on your system.

3. gtk+2's build system hard links to *-1.3, which is very very bad.
kick them in the nuts

Remko.