sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: git-able spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: Treeve Jelbert <treeve AT scarlet.be>, "sm, discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: git-able spells
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:22:51 +0100 (CET)

:2009-10-30T09:08:Treeve Jelbert:

> There are several spells on my system where I have to use a svn checkout,
> or
> snapshot tarball, because:
>
> . no stable tarball
> . need new features
> . fix build problems
>
> In some cases the snapshot tarballs are large and change frequently,
> causing
> long download times.
>
> I have recently discovered that all the spells which I use in this category
> already, or soon will, have git repositories avaliable.
>
> This tempts me to try something which I have considered for a while.
>
> Make these spells git-able.
> . DOWNLOAD will clone/update a local git repo
> . PRE_BUILD: will checkout the required branch (master, version x.y.z, ...)
> and create some symlinks.
> . one spell can support multiple branches
> . can no longer verify checksums, unless I calculate the hash of a branch
> after a clean checkout, ignoring everything in .git

You are aware that git is fast to download and that with the latest
stable sorcery it has proper branch support so you no longer need the
hacks.

Also there is a git_local:// url_handler as well ;) So DOWNLOAD and
PRE_BUILD really wouldn't be needed. And it would have proper
multibranch support. Though I'm opposed to multiversioned spells if a
specific version is needed for a specific spell current examples of this
bad behaviour are:
fox
glib2

There might be others. If there is a need for a specific version said
spell should be separated into a $SPELL-$BRANCH spell.

If I understand you correctly you actually want to have git repositories
cloned in some spot and just clone them from there. What's wrong with
the current git clone/pull approach and git checkout that the git
handler now does?

--
Andraž ruskie Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.