sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] GNOME 2.28.0

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] GNOME 2.28.0
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:50:04 -0500

Eric Sandall wrote:
> Ladislav Hagara wrote:
>> Hi,
>> gnome spells have been updated in test grimoire to GNOME 2.28.0.
>> Some tarballs haven't been released yet, for example stable gtk+2 is
>> still missing, but it is only a question of hours.
>> So if you want to play with new gnome, don't forget to choose devel
>> gtk+2 (cast -r -c gtk+2).
>
>> I had only one problem:
>> Some gnome spells need new policykit, moreover policykit tarballs were
>> renamed to polkit, so I updated policykit and policykit-gnome (probably
>> good idea to rename them in the future into polkit and polkit-gnome).
>> That problem is with xorg server and hal. If you have xorg server
>> compiled with hal (to find out the mouse or keyboard) and hal was
>> compiled with policykit -> hal is broken after policykit update and X
>> doesn't start because cann't find mouse and keyboard.
>> Hal is deprecated by upstream (imho) so it is not possible to compile it
>> with new policykit.
>> You have to "cast -r -c hal" and forbit policykit support.
>
>> Have a nice ...
>
> The package should take care of this. An update should not leave a user
> without a working keyboard/mouse.
>
> IMO, fix it to automatically work or revert those GNOME changes.

Agreed, we should try to avoid such breakage. It shouldn't be too
difficult to either add detection logic to policykit/polkit to prevent
them from casting it if they've got hal with it enabled. At the very
least ask the question.

We should get a plan for upgrading away from hal, as it's being
depreciated. Also some docs pointing to wtf polkit is and how one uses
it would be handy. IMHO, our xorg has advanced beyond general
understanding. As in, gaze what policykit doesn't really tell you what
it does or how to use it :( </rant>

David