sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: sqweek <sqweek AT gmail.com>
  • To: quinq AT sourcemage.org
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!)
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:55:00 +0800

2009/7/13 <quinq AT sourcemage.org>:
> Hi all,
>
> last month, a new x86_64 iso has been released but there hasn’t been any
> feedback (or I missed it).
> There’s a real need for testing it, as it’s on its way to stable release,
> but we won’t take it there without more testing.
> Please take a few minutes to buy a 64b computer, test the iso, and reply to
> this mail that it’s perfect. ;)
> We need you!

I'm on the job!
Went for a pretty basic install - singe disk, all ext3 partitions, no
LVM or anything fancy, lilo bootloader. Everything has worked well
with two minor oddities:

1) when I first ran "scribe update", scribe complained about stable's
metadata. To fix it all I had to do was say "yes scribe I would like
to fix the metadata" and then accept the default URL - so not quite
sure what the problem was... I would have checked the URL before
fixing it but I didn't understand what it was asking me at first.

2) when I first ran "sorcery update", it went and cast basesystem.
This seemed to happen before the update, however UPDATEFIX was not
set. Was there an option to install basesystem during the
installation? I would have selected it if I saw it but I don't
remember seeing one.

The only other comment I'd make is that some of the instructions
aren't very friendly to newcomers. Eg when you get to setup it says
something like "make sure /etc/sysconfig/facilities looks sensible",
but facilities is full of smgl specific conventions and there's no
real context provided.

I like the new installer by the way - last time I installed SMGL it
was using a menu system. The shell based procedure is nice!

-sqweek

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] NEW X86_64 TEST ISO (TESTING NEEDED!!), sqweek, 09/12/2009