sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] The Great E-mails: part 1 (General)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Bainter <mbainter-smgl AT trampledstones.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] The Great E-mails: part 1 (General)
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:19:05 -0500

Vlad Glagolev [stealth AT sourcemage.org] wrote:
> But, first of all, let's start talking about the general things in
> formatting:
>
> 1. Lines of code in every file (DETAILS, ChangeLog, HISTORY, INSTALL,
> DEPENDS, etc.) should have limits for the length (80 chars), this is a
> common practice.

Pretty common for email too (*cough* *cough*)

> 3. In variables, extra stuff shouldn't be put. Like quotes and curly
> brackets (braces). Only where it's really needed:

This is an unnecessary restriction. Just because it isn't strictly
needed for functionality, that doesn't mean it doesn't have value - in
particular for the purposes of clarity and readability.

> 7. Use bash power while creating dirs, using cycles, etc. to minimize
> the code, for example: mkdir -p dir/{braces,are,good} instead of mkdir
> -p dir/braces dir/are dir/good, or even worse: mkdir -p dir/braces &&
> mkdir dir/are && mkdir dir/good.

I have to concur with Eric here. That's all well and good, and where
possible we should each other about faster, clearer, eaiser ways of
doing things with Bash. (Especially new developers)

But to require that they essentially know everything about how Bash
works before one can begin contributing seems really counterproductive
to me.

> Will be waiting for your comments.

For the ones I skipped, just +1 Eric's previous comments.