sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] The Great E-mails: part 2 (DETAILS)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] The Great E-mails: part 2 (DETAILS)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:35:45 -0700

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 03:47:44 +0400
Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org> wrote:

> It's all about DETAILS:
>
> We already have a rule to keep aligning for the entries to "=":
>
> --
> SPELL=transmission
> VERSION=1.74
> ..=..
> --
>
> And I think it's good.
> Now, what would I offer:
>
> - use line-length limits (at least for short and long descriptions)

Line length is <80 columns.

http://www.sourcemage.org/DETAILS:
"The description must be aligned to 80 characters (no line should
exceed 80th character)." Should probably be clarified for all
quoted/text-only lines (e.g. *not* SOURCE_URL).

> - use quotes and braces only when they are really needed

I could agree with this, especially since this is how I currently
write. :) You may want to define "need".

e.g. use {} for the following:
SOURCE=${SPELL}_$VERSION.tar.bz2

but not the following:
SOURCE=${SPELL}-${VERSION}.tar.bz2

> - probably, have some order of the variables, let's say SPELL
> shouldn't be below VERSION

I tend to do ordered by length, with required variables before they're
used. Looks more like a sideways pyramid.

e.g.
SPELL=xf86-video-intel
VERSION=2.8.1
SOURCE=$SPELL-$VERSION.tar.bz2
SOURCE_GPG="gurus.gpg:$SOURCE.sig:UPSTREAM_HASH"

SOURCE_URL[0]=http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/driver/$SOURCE
SOURCE_DIRECTORY="$BUILD_DIRECTORY/$SPELL-$VERSION" LICENSE[0]=XCL
WEB_SITE=http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki
ENTERED=20070922
SHORT="Xorg driver for Intel integrated graphics chipsets"

I do not think this should be in a standard as then you'd have to list
every variable possible in DETAILS, and that is quite a few, and may
restrict imaginative use of PREPARE/DETAILS.

> Comments?

Note above where SHORT has multiple spaces, this would be wrong, IMO,
and might want to be standardized (probably a copy & paste error) and
done the same with the long description.

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285