sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] The Great E-mails: part 5 (Conclusion)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Source Mage Discussion <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] The Great E-mails: part 5 (Conclusion)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 21:03:09 -0500

Vlad Glagolev wrote:
> So what do we have now, and what would we want to.
>
> We are big enough, and freedom is freedom, yes.
> But I think such standartisation is needed just to keep some thing in sync.
> Well-formed code matters.
>
> Look at the other projects, they have some coding style guides, etc. for
> new developers involved in production process, and it's really good.
>
> OpenBSD: http://www.openbsd.org/checklist.html
> WebKit: http://webkit.org/coding/coding-style.html
> Python: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
>
> These are well-known, and of course there are many more, but probably we
> should also have one?
>
> Comments?

Regarding all of the above emails:

An unnecessary restriction on what the developer must do.

They write code that conforms to bash, and we have few restrictions,
thus allowing people to do what suits them best. They are the ones doing
the work.

I see no reason to force additional standards upon them.

David