sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Auto-generated HISTORY from `git commit` (was Re: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (7041bfdaf256227abdacc42113e14388785aae43))

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Auto-generated HISTORY from `git commit` (was Re: [SM-Commit] GIT changes to master grimoire by George Sherwood (7041bfdaf256227abdacc42113e14388785aae43))
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:02:43 +0200

On Thursday 11 of June 2009 18:57:23 George Sherwood wrote:
> > Then `git commit` would add all but the newline to HISTORY. I suppose
> > we should move this to SM-Discuss? :)
>
> For me almost the opposite would be easier. I wish it was possible to
> generate my commit message from the quill generated HISTORY entry.
> Almost all of my updates are doing using quill. I just change the
> wording a little bit, but it is nice to have the version already
> there. No entry mistakes.
I also like HISTORY as we have it now.

Besides quill doing most of the work for me, I also have a git function to
somewhat ease the committing when doing things manually. It is limited, but
may be useful to some, so here it is:
git-commit ()
{
command git-commit -e -m "$(basename -- $1):" "$@"
}

You use it like: git-commit gnu/gcc # (if you're in the top dir) and it will
start the commit message editing session with "gcc:".

LP
--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon
Have a sourcerous day! www.sourcemage.org