sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Updating tar with devel sorcery

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Jaka Kranjc <smgl AT lynxlynx.info>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Updating tar with devel sorcery
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:34:00 +0200

Jaka Kranjc wrote:
On Sunday 28 of December 2008 12:46:26 Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
George Sherwood wrote:
Looks like some error has been introduced to devel sorcery that causes
building of tar to fail with this error:

Preparing to install tar
install-info: No such file or directory for tar
Dispel of tar failed!
Creating compile log /var/log/sorcery/compile/tar-1.20.bz2

Spells that encountered problems:
---------------------------------
tar (post_remove) tar (pre_install)

Vlad updated tar to 1.21 today which isn't a problem, but if you are
using devel sorcery you need to downgrade to test to complete the build
for now. Or at least copy /bin/tar somewhere safe. :)
I got this same error when I tried to cast mysql, too. Something funky
happened with sorcery lately.
Nothing funky happened to Sorcery, it just became more strict. There were always install-info errors (you get them with test sorcery too), but now they are fatal if they cause POST_REMOVE (or PRE_REMOVE) to fail.
Like I said before, consider this an incentive to finally fix these long standing bugs. The candidates are easy to find, the fix pretty simple (just remember to add a repair file) and Vlad was already working on one for tar, so you should also have a reference soon.

Why is this new restriction necessary, anyway? To me it seems all it does is create more requirements for spell writers when they (us) have a lot of things to take into account already.

I have to admit, our spells aren't in any way simple anymore. Everything seem to become more and more complex as time goes by. There's a limit to what you can do with bash, and I'm thinking about trying to write a completely new kind of package manager.

I'm a currently very frustrated about gnupg also failing with devel sorcery. I wonder how many others we will have to screw around with now.

Preparing to install gnupg
install-info: No such file or directory for gpg
install-info: No such file or directory for gpgv
Dispel of gnupg failed!
Creating compile log /var/log/sorcery/compile/gnupg-1.4.9.bz2

Spells that encountered problems:
gnupg (post_remove) gnupg (pre_install)

Juuso