sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] licensing in the kernel and when not to follow upstream

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: seth AT swoolley.homeip.net
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] licensing in the kernel and when not to follow upstream
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 05:19:55 -0800

Do we have a document anywhere that says when not to follow upstream?

http://sourcemage.org/SourceMage/SocialContract

Item 1 says, "never include non-free in core"

The Linux kernel has non-free items:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3787736/Proprietary+Firmware+and+the+Pursuit+of+a+Free+Kernel.htm

I suggest those items may have to go into z-rejected, even for firmware.

Other times we don't follow upstream:

FHS violations and INSTALL_ROOTification
optional patches queried default to no

An alternative is to make the linux kernel query for the patch to remove
the blobs, defaulted to "remove" on the iso.

Section 1 of our Social Contract is pretty clear that we should be
following the FSF guidelines for a free distro "core", if not
being entirely free (hence, z-rejected).

Seth

  • [SM-Discuss] licensing in the kernel and when not to follow upstream, seth, 11/29/2008