sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Reclaim your sanity from Xorg and HAL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Reclaim your sanity from Xorg and HAL
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 18:26:40 +0100

Am Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:18:05 +0200
schrieb Juuso Alasuutari <iuso AT sourcemage.org>:

> I did it! After the whole Xorg/HAL/evdev mess getting on my nerves for
> quite a while I figured out the Perfect(TM) solution. In other words,
> here's how to make your keyboard and mouse work properly with
> xorg-server 1.5.3.

I think I'll have fun with this again when trying to see if the changes
in the evdev area
at least make the multiseat setup work now (with specifying specific
devices / paths in xorg.conf, though ... since I strongly suppose that
HAL wouldn't be able to know which X server to give which device (or
the servers wouldn't be able to figure out which ones to take).
Before I tried in vain to get two seats on one box... two X servers
with respecive video device was easy, but having both their respecitve
keyboard and mouse didn't work out at all.

But to come back to "normal" setups: It seems to me that the evdev
mouse device is rather limited.
For example I didn't see a hint that it supports anything along
EmulateWheel, wich I use rather happily with the plain old driver.
Also, I don't see the point in HAL yet (but Xorg people seem to suggest
that everyone uses it on Linux?)... so, I'm gonna stick with my plain
old setup of mouse and keyboard, which works (for now...).

Without doubt there'll come the time when xorg folks remove these
drivers.
Then I will have to decide to switch and hopefully the missing
functionality has been filled in by that time.
On the other hand, I can always just fire up the Xorg-6.9 I installed
in parallel to have virtual screen real estate for ardour2, anyway (who
knows when that feature will appear again).

Alrighty then,

Thomas.