sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] I think I've finally made the switch!!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Kevin Monceaux <Kevin AT RawFedDogs.net>
  • To: SourceMage Discuss mailing List <SM-Discuss AT Lists.IBiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] I think I've finally made the switch!!
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:15:03 -0500 (CDT)

SourceMage Fans,

First of all, is this the best list to use for general user discussion? I posted a question to the Users list about a month ago and never got a reply. Then again, I replied to a post on this list a few weeks ago and never saw my message come through, so I might be having mail server issues.

Anyway, I tried to switch to SourceMage a few weeks ago and hit a few snags. But, I was trying to go with the test Grimoire, since Xorg-modular had made it in there, so a few snags were understandable.

This past Thursday I installed SMGL on my desktop box using the 0.10.0-test4.iso and so far so good with the stable Grimoire. For now I plan to stick with stable and test out stable-rc, and/or test, under a chroot setup to catch any problems before they make it to stable.

I only had to scribble three spells to my locale Grimoire and tweak them. I think two of the three are known problems - lvm and gmime. I had to downgrade gmime to a 2.2.x version to get pan to cast. The third problem was with k9copy. While searching the net for the error I was getting I came across a k9copy-gcc43.patch which WORKED_FOR_ME. I know SMGL prefers to only apply patches that come from upstream. Should I open a bug and submit the patch I found?

Also, I have an Alpine spell in my locale Grimoire updated to 2.00 that I'd be happy to submit. I removed the MAIL-TRANSPORT-AGENT dependency from my copy of the spell since I send all my mail through a remote SMTP server. Should that dependency be made optional?

While tinkering around I came up with a couple of scripts some might find useful. With the first one, which I mentioned on IRC, one can pipe the output from gaze activity to it and it will convert the UTC time to local time. It's available at:

http://www.RawFedDogs.net/u2l.txt

I added the txt extension to make web browsers happy. I continued to tinker with it and ended up with a version that converts the time, and formats the output a bit. It displays cast lines in cyan, dispel lines in yellow, and summon lines in gray. In the status column it displays start in cyan, success in green, and if there's any type of failure, it displays the whole line in red. It's available at:

http://www.RawFedDogs.net/actfmt.txt

It works great for doing something like:

% tail -F /var/log/sorcery/activity | actfmt

while casts are running.

Also, I've put together a simple SourceMage slim(SImple Login Manager) theme. I have about as much artistic talent as a rutabaga. I used a logo from download.SourceMage.org and a panel from another theme. It still needs a little work. I haven't quite got the text color to match the logo yet, but it's close. If anyone would like to try it out, it's available at:

http://www.RawFedDogs.net/SourceMageSlimTheme.tar.bz2

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org