sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] We don't wanna cast the broken things, do we?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] We don't wanna cast the broken things, do we?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:58:48 +0200

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 03:17:12PM +0200, Arjan Bouter wrote:
> You're missing the point here (or I am ;) ). It's ok to break something in
> test,
> as that's what it's for. As long as you have tested it yourself and it
> works for
> you.
>
> What is troubling me as well is that more and more spells get updated to -rc
> - -alpha and other such versions. That's just asking for trouble IMHO.
>
> Unstable versions of spells should be a choice and not forced on the user
> unless there's a need for it, like the stable version being so far out of
> date
> that it won't work anymore.
>
> IMHO if the maintainer of the spell doesn't feel like keeping up with
> development releases for a multi-version spell, than we should just stick
> with
> stable versions.
>
> Arjan

I also don't like alpha versions and stuff in spells, even if it's only
test grimoire, as it's not guaranteed that those spells will be updated
to final before they're cut for stable-rc. And I don't like using pre
versions in general.
For big stuff like the gnome update, I think creating a devel branch for
the -rc that can be deleted once it's merged into test is the correct
solution. The policy for other changes to the spells while they're
updated in a devel branch should imo be: "if you change a spell in this
section during the devel branch cycle, you're responsible for also
merging that change into the devel branch (of course merging version
updates so that the -rc version stays in)". That way, people keep out of
those sections in test in general, and if they really care about a fix,
they have to make sure the final merge won't generate more conflicts
than absolutely necessary.
Does this seem reasonable to you all?

Supporting devel versions for the gnome stuff inside the spells is
madness imho, because all of them have to use either release or devel
version consistently, or stuff breaks. This is really too much work for
not much benefit.

http://www.sourcemage.org