sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Java web apps don't seem to work

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Java web apps don't seem to work
  • Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 12:14:37 -0700

Quoting "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>:

Quoting astsmtl AT gmail.com:
<snip>
Going to the test site above gives the following:
$ firefox
java_vm process: Couldn't find class sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
Could not read ack from child process
Plugin: Java VM process has died.
plugin: java process exited with status 5
Could not start JavaVM!

VM did not start up properly
java_vm process: Couldn't find class sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.plugin.navig.motif.Plugin
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:276)
Could not read ack from child process
Plugin: Java VM process has died.
Could not start JavaVM!

VM did not start up properly

Trying with the libxcb/FINAL fix does not change this. jdk6-bin does
not seem to install sun/plugin/navig/motif/Plugin (nor anything under
sun/ except some examples and demos).

Does anyone have Java web apps working with our jdk6-bin spell or do
we need to go back to dkowis' way/fix the current install? Installing
jre6-bin works just fine, so my guess is it's the way I updated
jdk6-bin to install (:p David), though I'm pretty sure it used to
work, perhaps I never tested web apps and no one noticed (except me)
until now. ;)

Playing around with jdk6-bin some more and making it install more like jre6-bin, I have gotten rid of some of the errors above, but to the same effect:
$ firefox
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
Could not read ack from child process
Plugin: Java VM process has died.
plugin: java process exited with status 1
Could not start JavaVM!

VM did not start up properly
java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError: java/lang/Object
Could not read ack from child process
Plugin: Java VM process has died.
plugin: java process exited with status 1
Could not start JavaVM!

VM did not start up properly

I'll keep fiddling with this, though the main reason I want a JDK installed is to, sporadically, work on openoffice. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285