sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Nominations for cauldron team lead as per voting policy

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Nominations for cauldron team lead as per voting policy
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:05:24 -0400

Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik (ruskie AT codemages.net) wrote [08.05.25 12:49]:
> > > I nominate flux_control for lead developer status. If he is
> > > seconded I move to vote for it immediately.
> >
> > I will second this nomination.
> >

> If nobody has any objections to this I'm proposing to start a vote
> later today for him becoming a lead developer(if he accepts). And
> extending nominations for the cauldron lead to the end of that vote and
> announced results. Thus making it possible for flux_control to properly
> accept his nomination.
>
> If no objections are received I will start the vote 2 hours from now
> and extend the nomination till the end of the vote+a few more hours.
>

> --
> Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
> Source Mage GNU/Linux Games grimoire guru
> Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Seeing as how I am now a lead developer (after everyone went to the
trouble of getting me that ;-D), I will now accept the nominations for
cauldron lead.

In all honesty, I never expected to be nominated for Cauldron Lead. I am
honored by the faith and support I am being given, but am somewhat
concerned about how good of a job someone like I could do stacked up
against someone with more experience, both with cauldron and with the
distro overall (Karsten has been cauldron lead for a little over a year,
but has been an SMGL developer for far longer, whereas I have only been
a developer since about about 8 months ago). In short, while I am glad
to have your faith, I don't really know why I'm running ;-P. However,
given that I am, I suppose I should be making some speech about what I
would do as Cauldron Lead if elected.

I will not make promises about when things will be done, as we all know
what happens with that (the dreaded RSN syndrome). Instead, I will
simply make promises that things will get done (though I may allow
myself for some vagueries of what things will get done...). As many of
you may already know, I have been working on a set of scripts to make
cauldron more than just a team name for producing ISOs, into an actual
program (or program suite) similar/parallel to the sorcery scripts. I
will continue to work on these and develop them into a program that is
usable by any SMGL developer (or even regular user), and will strive to
achieve the level of success of quill (I don't hope for the success of
sorcery, as that would be farfetched). This will not only enable many
people to easily create custom installation ISOs, but it will also ease
the burden of producing regular official releases, as having a core
knowledge of the inner workings of an ISO will not be required to
produce an ISO so regular developers can run them (perhaps even as cron
jobs). Having more regular releases is a goal of mine, but whether or
not it can really be accomplished depends on the feasibility of it (at
present there are only 2 really active cauldron developers, and one
semi-active developer, so there isn't enough time between us to do
releases as regularly as any of us would like). My hope is that over
time, through the further development of the cauldron scripts, this will
become more feasible. Thus outlineth my plan.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage

  • Re: [SM-Discuss] Nominations for cauldron team lead as per voting policy, flux, 06/02/2008